COUNTING THE COSTS

 

  Yesterday the Supreme Court heard arguments as to whether or not homosexual marriage is a civil right guaranteed by the 14th Amendment. If the court rules in the affirmative it will lay the groundwork for the persecution of Christians unlike anything we have ever experienced. Anytime I talk about matters of faith I like to give a disclaimer. I am an evil, evil man and no sin is worse than any other. Whether your sin or my sin is lying, stealing, adultery, murder, homosexuality or any in a list of sins. All sin separates us from God. A few years ago I was listing my shortcomings to a friend and he said something that gave me pause. He said; "Greg, I believe that if someone walked into this room and put a gun to your head and commanded you to renounce Jesus or die, you would take a bullet". It is easy to say what you would do when you are not under duress. Although I crucify Christ daily in the way that I live my life, I have to agree that I would die before I would deny him. If I were an alcoholic I would not try to justify my alcoholism by changing the Word. The Bible declares that drunkenness is a sin. There is legitimate debate as to how much we are allowed to drink but there is no doubt that drinking in excess is a sin. The same thing can be said of homosexuality. Homosexual acts are a sin. Having homosexual feelings are no sin but acting on them are. Americans are about to find out whether or not they are willing to take a figurative bullet for their faith in Christ. If we continue down this path that figurative bullet may lead to a literal bullet one day.

  If my pastor refuses to perform a homosexual wedding the tax exempt status of his church could be taken away. It could also lead to fines and imprisonment. The pastor could be fined or even imprisoned if he preaches against homosexuality. This is already occurring in Canada and other foreign countries. I could be charged with a hate crime just for writing an article like this. Some might argue that I am over dramatizing the issue but we have seen what has happened already in this country to Christian businesses like Sweet Cakes bakery in Oregon and Memories Pizza in Indiana.. Because of their religious beliefs Sweet Cakes bakery refused to cater a homosexual wedding. They were forced out of business and fined 135,000 dollars by a judge. Memories Pizza received death threats and was almost forced out of business because they told a reporter that their beliefs would prevent them from catering a homosexual wedding. Over 500,000 dollars was raised on their behalf which enabled them to reopen. There are plenty of businesses willing to service homosexuals but Christian businesses are purposely targeted by homosexual groups. The same will be true for churches if homosexual marriage is determined to be a right protected by the 14th Amendment.

  I continue to hold the opinion that homosexuality is learned behavior. Matter of fact I believe that all behavior is learned. It may be a psychosis that is acquired in infancy but to my knowledge scientists have never isolated a gene that proves that people are born homosexual. This is where the rubber meets the road. If someone can prove otherwise I will be on board but I don't think that is possible. In a Williams Institute review based on a June-September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender). Yet this small percentage has an undue amount of influence on the vast majority of straight Americans. Granting people civil rights status based on behavior places society on a very dangerous slippery slope. It opens the door for the legalization of all forms of perversion and marital relationships. Including polygamy, incest, pedophilia, and bestiality. Marriage has always been the domain of the state and this is a states rights issue not a civil rights issue. Persecution is nothing new for Christians. However the Supreme Court decision on this issue will determine the level of future persecution. If they decide that homosexual marriage is a constitutionally protected right Christians will pay a heavy price for their faith. Jesus advised his followers to count the costs. Are you willing to pay them?

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE DEATH OF JAYNE MANSFIELD

NASHVILLE AND JESSE JAMES

CHARLIE PARKHURST